The East Coast is puzzling. How can the sky rain so suddenly and the heavy showers stop so rapidly? Why does channel 95.5 play Katy Perry’s “California Girls” on the radio every time we board into a blue van with Hussein or another mentor? And why are the bugs so aggressive? Their bites swell! Fairfax is certainly different from San Jose, but I like it here. There are intelligent students who can speak 3-5 different languages, spend the night talking about philosophy, music and culture and people who I am so glad to have met. When we were sitting outside the dorms having a deep discussion, I was quite amazed about the variety of theoretical questions my companions asked. For example:
- “You are trapped on a island, and can bring only three things. What would you bring?”
- “If you were any other living being, what would you be?”
- “If God gave you an extra eye and you had to accept it somewhere on your body, where would it be?”
- “If you could go back in history, would you kill anyone? And who would it be?”
- “What drink would you be?”
The talk was entirely unscripted, and there was a funny moment when Thanos answered, “Would you take the chance to be another gender in another life?”. I also was amazed with Rohan’s answer for the “extra eye” question; my father talked about the same philosopher he mentioned. It is the small moments like these that remind me that BFSIA is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I feel like a different person here. I am re-learning how to relax and be a fun person again, instead of an always serious person. I finally feel young again!
Image Source: —
With much love, Kathy P.